One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of a group of additional wire strings fitted to certain stringed instruments to give extra resonance.
- ‘It has three to four main playing strings and about a dozen sympathetic strings.’
- ‘After decorating the body comes the attaching of strings to produce pure and perfect notes without any sympathetic strings or tarap as in the sitar or sarod.’
- ‘Since the late 18th century, most of the music written for the viola d' amore calls for an instrument with seven playing and seven sympathetic strings, tuned in a D major chord, A d a d' f#' a'd".’
- ‘Maybe 17 strings, with sympathetic strings, like a sitar.’
- ‘According to the German musicologist Kai Koepp, the viola d' amore without sympathetic strings existed long before the generally known type described above by Mozart.’
- ‘Some instruments have as many as 15 sympathetic strings tuned to different notes of the scale.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.