One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The surgical cutting of a sympathetic nerve or removal of a ganglion to relieve a condition affected by its stimulation.
- ‘If the syndrome is recognised and treated early then many patients gain prolonged relief from drugs or chemical or surgical sympathectomy.’
- ‘During an endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy, a small clip is surgically attached to the sweatgland nerves to restrict the flood waters.’
- ‘Other treatments, such as physiotherapy, biofeedback and surgical sympathectomy, were noted.’
- ‘Some authors advocate using permanent sympathectomy when the sympathetic nerve blocks no longer prove effective.’
- ‘Before 1953, procedures such as stellate ganglion block, cervical sympathectomy, thrombectomy of occluded carotid arteries, and carotid bifurcation ligation, were used.’
- ‘For very resistant and distressing cases, where all other treatments fail, a surgical procedure called thoracoscopic sympathectomy is available.’
- ‘More aggressive approaches include sympathetic blocks and surgical sympathectomy.’
- ‘For the most severe cases, there's a surgical procedure called thorasocopic sympathectomy: A small incision is made in the armpit, and the nerve that controls sweating is cut.’
- ‘Since 1997, we have been performing bilateral thoracoscopic sympathectomy as outpatient procedures.’
- ‘As sweating is mediated through the sympathetic nervous system, selective sympathectomy appears to be the most effective method to permanently rid patients of palmar hyperhidrosis.’
- ‘In 1994, because of better anesthetic and surgical techniques, bilateral sympathectomies were performed, however, the patient was still admitted for 2-3 days.’
- ‘Nurses in the ambulatory surgery department admitted Mr R for a bilateral thoracoscopic sympathectomy without complications.’
- ‘If the patient received pain relief after the 12-block series but the pain recurs after a short period of time, surgical sympathectomy (as discussed later) is indicated.’
- ‘Physicians can inject neurolytic chemicals via percutaneous injection and can perform surgical sympathectomy using an endoscope or through a larger incision site.’
- ‘The precision of surgical sympathectomy is important - it must completely denervate the appropriate limb to be effective.’
- ‘If opiate analgesia remains inadequate, then lumbar sympathectomy (surgical or chemical) or spinal cord stimulation may help.’
- ‘Patients were excluded from the study if they had a recent myocardial infarction, major hemorrhage or lumbar sympathectomy, or had conditions or were taking medications that could interfere with the study.’
- ‘This is called an endoscopic transthoracic sympathectomy, and is done under a general anaesthetic.’
- ‘In severe cases, a surgical treatment called sympathectomy can be performed.’
- ‘An endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy can be performed, in which the some of the nerves that cause the facial blood vessels to widen are cut.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.