One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A variety of wine grape first developed in German-speaking districts, the dominant form being a white grape.
- ‘There are attempts to diversify, however, with the planting of grape varieties from southern Italy such as Fiano and Greco di Tufo and of more international varieties such as Chardonnay, Riesling, Sylvaner, and Pinot Blanc.’
- ‘This is actually a blend of five grape varieties - Sylvaner, Muscat, Riesling, Gewurztraminer and Pinot Gris.’
- ‘Varying aspects and mixture of different soils and sub-soils allow vineyard owners to grow many varieties of grapes: Riesling, muscat, Pinot Gris, Pinot Blanc, Sylvaner and Chardonnay.’
- ‘Scheurebe is a hybrid grape, a crossing of Riesling and Sylvaner.’
- 1.1 A white wine made from the Sylvaner grape.
- ‘Alsace is in north-east France and produces aromatic white wines (Riesling, Pinot Gris, Gewurztraminer, Muscat and the lesser-known Sylvaner).’
- ‘Wash yours down with Austrian beer or with glasses of Sylvaner, a regional white, or the local red called St. Magdalener.’
- ‘Even the most ingenious taster can be hard pressed to find adjectives to describe the quintessential flavour of Sylvaner.’
- ‘Good Sylvaner has a slightly bitter, slightly perfumed aroma and flavour, with very firm acidity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.