One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a woman or girl) slender and graceful.
slim, lean, slender, rangy, willowy, svelte, spare, slightView synonyms
- ‘I'll never be slim and sylphlike - but if there were a diet marketed that announced ‘lose weight and stop people walking into you’ then I'd be first on the sign-up list.’
- ‘We're in the realm of the satin pointe shoe and the sylphlike ballerina, but any resemblance to floaty romanticism ends there.’
- ‘Growing up chubby with three sylphlike younger sisters, I was always in search of a quick fix to my weight problem.’
- ‘She was a sylphlike blonde, cold and lovely with a humorous closed-lipped smile that reminded him of Jeri's.’
- ‘His mission became tangible in 1999 with his sylphlike costar, Jean Butler, who co-produced and choreographed the evening-length production of an Irish epic retold in Dancing on Dangerous Ground.’
- ‘And sometimes those of us who are remarkably sylphlike wonder how anyone can get so fat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.