One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Obsequious behavior toward someone important in order to gain advantage.‘your fawning sycophancy is nauseating’‘he discouraged sycophancy toward royalty’
- ‘He was shameless in his sycophancy and usually unaware of the embarrassment caused by his actions.’
- ‘If your boss is an egomaniac, sycophancy always pays dividends.’
- ‘Sycophancy in the Congress has been at its height.’
- ‘He behaved towards us with a ridiculous degree of sycophancy.’
- ‘Through relentless flattery and sycophancy, he amassed a circle of influential friends and a considerable fortune.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.