One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large edible marine fish with a streamlined body and a long flattened swordlike snout, related to the billfishes and popular as a game fish.
Xiphias gladius, the only member of the family Xiphiidae
- ‘My favorite fish dish was the swordfish, which is capped with crispy rich bread crumbs and served over a creamy, peppery wisp of spinach.’
- ‘In turn, the squid is preyed upon by large fish such as marlin and swordfish, and it's a main staple of sperm whales.’
- ‘They also captured evidence of the large number of other fish caught, including swordfish, marlin and sharks.’
- ‘Other high-mercury fish that pregnant women should avoid include albacore tuna, swordfish, and tilefish.’
- ‘Marlin, orange roughy, monkfish and swordfish as well as shark are on its list.’
- ‘The major trading of tuna, marlin, shark, kingfish, swordfish and manta ray is conducted in the covered hallways of the central market in Creek Road.’
- ‘The cod's the best bit here, but in nutritional terms, it trails a dismal second to oily varieties of fish such as salmon, trout, tuna, mackerel and swordfish.’
- ‘Women in this category should also avoid consuming the white fish species of shark, marlin and swordfish for the same reason.’
- ‘Some fish that are rich in omega - 3 fatty acids, such as tuna, swordfish and mackerel, also may be high in mercury.’
- ‘Intended to lure tuna, swordfish, and other creatures, fish bait on longlines is equally attractive to albatrosses.’
- ‘Big fish - like swordfish and bluefin tuna - are attracted to fronts where cold and warm waters meet.’
- ‘While trace amounts of mercury are present in nearly all types of fish, it builds up most in large predatory fish such as swordfish and sharks.’
- ‘The repellent would be applied to baits intended for tuna, swordfish, and other fish.’
- ‘Juvenile swordfish and other severely depleted species are often accidentally caught by longlines.’
- ‘You're going to want to avoid shark, swordfish, tile fish, and king mackerel.’
- ‘Recent studies have shown that marine fish such as shark, swordfish, and king mackerel can also contain high levels of mercury.’
- ‘Dr. Myers is talking about fish - specifically the large, predatory fish like tuna, marlin, swordfish and cod that we prize for food.’
- ‘Can chefs serve swordfish, bluefin tuna or Chilean seabass in good conscience?’
- ‘Eat swordfish, shark, tilefish and king mackerel no more than once a month.’
- ‘Seafood is the main attraction, and the freshness and quality is excellent - the three of us sampled mackerel, tuna and swordfish, none of which could be faulted.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.