One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mainly green hummingbird with a very long bill, found in northern South America.
- ‘It's known for its great birdlife, with many small flocks of colourful scarlet-bellied mountain tanagers and sword-billed hummingbirds.’
- ‘Clearly this is still one of the most important, if not the most important factor controlling bill shape, otherwise we wouldn't have curlews, ibises, sword-billed hummingbirds, flamingos, crossbills, or all those oystercatcher polymorphs.’
- ‘Some, like lancebills and swordbills, can't use them because of bill shape.’
- ‘Many of the hummingbirds, including Swordbills can be closely seen at feeders.’
- ‘The swordbilled hummingbird and the condor are found here, as well as wolves, pumas, deer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.