One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A combat using swords as weapons.
- ‘Bruce Lee fighting his way up the tower in Game of Death will always be better than sword fight after sword fight.’
- ‘By hanging the story on this idea, everything else that happens - every swordfight, every desperate skirmish - is given real meaning.’
- ‘A sword fight in a graveyard is inserted to beef up the action.’
- ‘It's a funny, action-packed romp brimming with great stunts, swordfights, special effects and the buxom talents of Catherine Zeta-Jones.’
- ‘The swordfights produce little in the way of excitement or suspense.’
- ‘Everyone loves to watch the sword-fights in the movies, but not a fencing match.’
- ‘He finds acting students are quickly receptive to the notion that stage combat training is not a martial art or a sword fight.’
- ‘Action consists of a series of sword fights where you dispatch groups of henchmen before taking on each of the top 10.’
- ‘Alice comes across two courtiers having a sword fight.’
- ‘Nor does this story of epic battles run to a single decent sword-fight, a truly astonishing omission.’
- ‘It's hard not to like a well-staged sword fight.’
- ‘He look as though he had had no sword fighting skills in his life, judging by the way he swung he sword so carelessly over his head.’
- ‘It also features one of the best swordfights ever seen in comics.’
- ‘In ancient times when the occurrence of a swordfight wasn't too rare, gentlemen trained at a game called foil with the express purpose of learning to duel.’
- ‘The hours we'd spend in sword fights with home-made wooden swords and shields painted up with the crest of the Black Knight.’
- ‘He also faces off with Capitan Pasquale in one of the best sword fights in cinematic history.’
- ‘A swashbuckling sea adventure with loads of derring-do, swordfights, mutinies and good old fashioned maiden rescues.’
- ‘The characters are great, and the swordfight is atmospheric and suspenseful.’
- ‘Im only worried about the sword fighting because Im naturally quite clumsy.’
- ‘Both the opening pirate attack and the closing sword fight are effectively staged, cut, and lit, adding both urgency to the action and heightening tension.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.