One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dance in which the performers brandish swords or step around swords laid on the ground, originally as a tribal preparation for war or as a victory celebration.
- ‘The sword dance is done with blunt wooden-handled swords which are about 20 inches in length.’
- ‘It set Sharp off on his lifetime's work, collecting some five thousand folksongs and, later, the collection of Morris and sword dances.’
- ‘During religious festivals, tourists are allowed to enter the Dzong (monastery/fortress) and view masked and sword dances; most of the dances date back to before the Middle Ages and are performed only once or twice a year.’
- ‘He managed to just keep his reaction to a simple bulging of the eyes with a slight break in his sword dance.’
- ‘Competitors danced the Highland fling, the sword dance, the sean triubhais, the Highland reel, the sailors hornpipe, the Irish Jig and other dances, preferably to the music of the bagpipe.’
- ‘Every culture has some form of stick or sword dance, from the Egyptian Assaya to the Paulitos from Portugal.’
- ‘The ardha is a men's sword dance, which is accompanied by drumming and by a poet, who sings the lyrics.’
- ‘Joe Dey asked me to find some other gimmick, so that's when I came up with the sword dance.’
- ‘But even as these doubts moved about her mind, she was entranced by the grace of Joren's sword dance.’
- ‘Back at the back of the line, she glanced over at Dan, who was now completing a sword dance with the rest of his group.’
- ‘The standard English classification of types of dances came to consist of a categorical triad: morris dances, sword dances, and country dances, the first two being ritual and the third social dancing.’
- ‘The specific character of the ritual and the worship that modern English morris dances and sword dances were supposed to reflect was never established.’
- ‘A traditional Arab dance is the ardha, or men's sword dance.’
- ‘In another corner small girls in kilts and black waistcoats were doing sword dances to pipe music.’
- ‘Jhumar, Sammi, Luddi, and the sword dance are all popular folk dances of the Punjab.’
- ‘The common and consistent point is that they took a selection of historic performance practices - morris dances and sword dances, mumming, and others in England - and declared them to be the survivals of ancient sacrificial rituals.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.