One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tall North American panic grass which forms large clumps.
Panicum virgatum, family Gramineae
- ‘After years of research, biopower from two unlikely crops - willow and switchgrass - soon may be a reality in New York and Iowa.’
- ‘These include products made from the switchgrass and wood chips mentioned in President Bush's address.’
- ‘Most promising, he says, is cellulosic ethanol, made from paper pulp, specially designed fuel crops like switchgrass and many wastes that can be diverted from landfill and turned into fuel.’
- ‘They've nearly perfected an adhesive made of soy protein and used it successfully in composite boards made from virgin and recycled wood, cornstalks, switchgrass and animal processed fiber.’
- ‘Using switchgrass for ethanol production results in even higher energy gains: up to 72 percent.’
- ‘Both alfalfa and switchgrass can also be burned to generate electricity.’
- ‘The mixture of warm- and cool-season grass pastures was predominantly switchgrass, big bluestem, and smooth brome.’
- ‘I'm opposed to corn-ethanol subsidies for these reasons, but I'm open to switchgrass and other alternatives.’
- ‘Based on modern plant distribution and abundance, it is plausible that Panicum sp. and Andropogon sp. grains are largely derived from the species switchgrass and big bluestem, respectively.’
- ‘Another potential fuel source under study by Iowa State researchers is switchgrass, a native warm-season grass that once thrived in the tall grass prairies.’
- ‘Examples include plastics made from soybeans, building materials made from corn stalks and fuels made from switchgrass.’
- ‘Warm-season grass pastures were a mix of big and little bluestem, Indian grass, switchgrass, and sideoats grama; grazing began June 8.’
- ‘The preferred overwintering sites of adult chinch bugs are dense clumps of native warm-season bunchgrasses such as little bluestem, big bluestem and switchgrass.’
- ‘More energy was also required to produce fuels from switchgrass, wood chips, and sunflower plants than their respective fuels generate.’
- ‘They'll also cover new opportunities for earning income from farmland, such as carbon sequestration and growing switchgrass as a biofuel crop.’
- ‘The switchgrass will be burned with coal to produce electricity.’
- ‘For example, a common warm season mixture consists of Indiangrass, big bluestem, and switchgrass.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.