One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tall North American panic grass which forms large clumps.
Panicum virgatum, family Gramineae
- ‘Most promising, he says, is cellulosic ethanol, made from paper pulp, specially designed fuel crops like switchgrass and many wastes that can be diverted from landfill and turned into fuel.’
- ‘The mixture of warm- and cool-season grass pastures was predominantly switchgrass, big bluestem, and smooth brome.’
- ‘They'll also cover new opportunities for earning income from farmland, such as carbon sequestration and growing switchgrass as a biofuel crop.’
- ‘The switchgrass will be burned with coal to produce electricity.’
- ‘After years of research, biopower from two unlikely crops - willow and switchgrass - soon may be a reality in New York and Iowa.’
- ‘More energy was also required to produce fuels from switchgrass, wood chips, and sunflower plants than their respective fuels generate.’
- ‘Based on modern plant distribution and abundance, it is plausible that Panicum sp. and Andropogon sp. grains are largely derived from the species switchgrass and big bluestem, respectively.’
- ‘These include products made from the switchgrass and wood chips mentioned in President Bush's address.’
- ‘Using switchgrass for ethanol production results in even higher energy gains: up to 72 percent.’
- ‘Both alfalfa and switchgrass can also be burned to generate electricity.’
- ‘I'm opposed to corn-ethanol subsidies for these reasons, but I'm open to switchgrass and other alternatives.’
- ‘They've nearly perfected an adhesive made of soy protein and used it successfully in composite boards made from virgin and recycled wood, cornstalks, switchgrass and animal processed fiber.’
- ‘Warm-season grass pastures were a mix of big and little bluestem, Indian grass, switchgrass, and sideoats grama; grazing began June 8.’
- ‘The preferred overwintering sites of adult chinch bugs are dense clumps of native warm-season bunchgrasses such as little bluestem, big bluestem and switchgrass.’
- ‘Another potential fuel source under study by Iowa State researchers is switchgrass, a native warm-season grass that once thrived in the tall grass prairies.’
- ‘For example, a common warm season mixture consists of Indiangrass, big bluestem, and switchgrass.’
- ‘Examples include plastics made from soybeans, building materials made from corn stalks and fuels made from switchgrass.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.