Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Switching equipment used in the transmission of electricity.
- ‘Some years later I heard that he was back in town and had started up a small business engaged in looking after electronic switchgear.’
- ‘A portion of that Power House is still standing, which contains historical switchgear and transformers.’
- ‘The business takes the company's 10 engineers on work all over the world, often for months at a time, carrying out modifications, testing, installation and commissioning of medium to high voltage switchgear.’
- ‘Its major export product groups include PVC conduit, metal plate switches and sockets, and industrial switchgear.’
- ‘Currently, 45 Iraqi electricians working extended shifts are preparing the necessary power cables for the first new turbine and installing low and medium voltage switchgear.’
- ‘The five-year project will equip 100 academic and administrative buildings with new communications wiring and switchgear capable of handling future high-speed performance demands.’
- ‘Single points of failure exist at the transfer switch and its associated switchgear, and also downstream of the UPS output bus at the power distribution unit and its related switchgear.’
- ‘The ageing switchgear pose far more serious problems than the transformers.’
- ‘Our jobs includes servicing, fixing and installing switchgear equipment.’
2The switches or electrical controls in a motor vehicle.
- ‘I would have preferred some of the switchgear to be better positioned - the rear wiper was a stretch away and hidden behind the wheel and there should have been a little more feel from the steering, too.’
- ‘The awful 80s-retro plastic extends to the switchgear.’
- ‘It's curvy and modern looking with switchgear derived from the X-TRAIL and 350Z.’
- ‘There is a plusher cabin interior and new console and switchgear, making the WRX series, public road-going versions of the acclaimed world rally car, a car to lust after.’
- ‘Familiar, logical BMW instrumentation, switchgear and cabin layout put you instantly at ease.’
- ‘All switchgear is sensibly laid out and both main beam and indicator stalks needed only a soft flick to operate them.’
- ‘The interior has been completely revamped, and the flat dash is replaced by a curved fascia with better switchgear.’
- ‘Or even today, the new Aston Martin Vanquish has switchgear from the cheaper Ford lines.’
- ‘Slide inside the leather-clad interior and it's all good familiar BMW stuff, with well laid out switchgear and big clear dials.’
- ‘The cabin too comes in for a re-work, gaining the same fantastic switchgear as the S80.’
- ‘Essential switchgear falls readily to hand; the dials are large and easy to read - and the steering mechanism gives excellent feedback.’
- ‘The indicators and switchgear can be operated with the softest touch, and even the boot quietly closes itself.’
- ‘With no bigger parent to steal switchgear from, Morgan, like TVR, must fashion their own.’
- ‘The leather upholstery creases easily, some switchgear can show signs of wear and bits of trim feel brittle.’
- ‘From the outside it is an incarnation of the Volkswagen Passat and of the same high quality, and inside it has the air-conditioning and switchgear of the Audi and Volkswagen, but Skoda's version is much cheaper’
- ‘It can't even be spoilt by the plethora of switchgear taken unchanged from the Discovery 3.’
- ‘Like Skodas, Seats use engines, transmissions, chassis and switchgear that are VW in all but name.’
- ‘Read-out panels are surrounded by hundreds of low-glare red backlit dials and switchgear.’
- ‘The exterior alloy effect is continued with highlights around switchgear and instruments.’
- ‘The instrumentation and switchgear are top-notch, and - amazingly for a sportsbike - the mirrors actually work.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.