Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A batter who can hit from either side of home plate.
- ‘The upsurge in such talented players was readily apparent last season when there were no less than 94 switch-hitters who came to bat in the majors, 47 in the American and 47 in the National League.’
- ‘The only switch-hitter who swatted more home runs than Murray was Mickey Mantle.’
- ‘A chart in the July issue of Baseball Digest listed switch-hitters with the most extra-base hits in a season.’
- ‘I mean, look at how many switch-hitters there have always been in baseball.’
- ‘The Rangers had four switch-hitters in their major league camp - two on the 40-man roster, Carl Everett and Mark Teixeira, and two non-roster invitees.’
- ‘Facing four switch-hitters in a row, it wouldn't have mattered much, as he worked through the tenth allowing only a Sierra single.’
- ‘Well, I think they see in him what I see in him, which is a switch-hitter who plays good defense at all three outfield spots, has incredible plate discipline and some good power.’
- ‘Ken Caminiti tied Mantle's record for most RBI as a switch-hitter when he drove in 130 runs for the Padres in 1996.’
- ‘But very little about the switch-hitter's rookie season in 1999 suggested the kind of offensive potential he showed last year.’
- ‘The switch-hitter had 100 hits from each side of the plate in 1979, when he led the National League with 211 hits.’
- ‘In the answer to a letter-writer in the November issue with regard to switch-hitters winning a league batting title, you omitted Pete Reiser.’
- ‘The honor helped solidify Jones' high ranking among current major league switch-hitters.’
- ‘Kata, 25, a switch-hitter, stepped in when Arizona regular second baseman Junior Spivey was injured. He proved a real find.’
- ‘September 28: Cardinals shortstop Garry Templeton becomes the first major league switch-hitter to collect 100 or more hits from both sides of the plate.’
- ‘Reluctantly at first, the Orioles let it happen and watched Murray blossom into one of the greatest switch-hitters in baseball history.’
- ‘He's a switch-hitter who can handle the demands of being in the middle of a lineup.’
- ‘The updated list of switch-hitters who collected 30 or more homers in a season is still topped by Mickey Mantle who belted 54 round-trippers in 1961.’
- ‘In an earlier issue of Baseball Digest, it was stated that Bernie Williams of the Yankees is one of seven switch-hitters to win a batting title in the majors.’
- ‘For the past few years, the respect he received in the clubhouse elevated the switch-hitter to a unique level of respect that fell somewhere between player and coach.’
- ‘The switch-hitter led the National League in stolen bases in 1960 and 1961.’
- 1.1North American informal A bisexual.
- ‘She definitely didn't want to let the cat out of the bag about her being a switch hitter.’
- ‘In those days, she was a switch-hitter, now she was straight dyke.’
- ‘No, I don't broadcast around the school that I'm a switch-hitter, but at that moment I could have and I wouldn't have cared who heard me, because she was back with me.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.