One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A penknife incorporating several blades and other tools such as scissors and screwdrivers.
- ‘I get out a Swiss army knife that has a bit of an edge.’
- ‘Pulling out her Swiss army knife, she flicked out one of the blades and slashed one open.’
- ‘At a search of his home address detectives recovered a red Swiss army knife, which was similar to the knife used in the attack.’
- ‘I also said that I was tempted to cut the lone orange ribbon in my neighbourhood with my Swiss army knife, but held back.’
- ‘Craft scissors, surgical scissors, sewing scissors, corkscrews, Swiss army knives and bottle openers, all available at unbeatable prices!’
- ‘The carabinieri accused him of stabbing a police officer when they found a Swiss army knife in his pocket.’
- ‘My hand gripped tightly onto the Swiss army knife in my pocket as I made my way through the trees.’
- ‘I had one relapse two years ago, when I cut myself with a Swiss army knife after an argument with a friend.’
- ‘His locksmith set came out of one of his jacket pockets and unfolded like a Swiss army knife.’
- ‘What does it matter that a thug with a Swiss army knife can be inside in a matter of seconds?’
- ‘Danko pulled a Swiss army knife from his pocket and opened a small pair of wire cutters.’
- ‘The most common items purchased are less exotic, and less expensive - Swiss army knives and regular household cutlery.’
- ‘Nervously, he reached into his pocket and pulled out his Swiss army knife and opened the blade.’
- ‘I've had one letter opener seized, two Swiss army knives.’
- ‘And in both airports, the Swiss army knife on my key chain in my purse went through without a murmur.’
- ‘He packed up a small backpack with a few changes of clothes, a book, and his Swiss army knife.’
- ‘There are plenty of other souvenirs too, including top-quality chocolate, cheese and Swiss army knives.’
- ‘You'll need to scrape out his hooves twice a day, and not with that tool on a Swiss army knife if you're fond of your fingertips.’
- ‘I've been lucky, this weekend, to experience true technological finesse of the Swiss army knife.’
- ‘There's something very inherently geekishly attractive about slick, multifunctional devices like Swiss army knives and the giant coffee machine.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.