Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A player who can play both guard and forward.
- ‘Dallas swingman and rising star Michael Finley is another player who doesn't miss games.’
- ‘If you perform well enough the next five weeks, you'll make the Panthers' roster as a backup, a swingman who can play both right and left tackle.’
- ‘There are too many swingmen on the roster and not enough power players.’
- ‘It's a big loss for Dallas, which relies on its veteran swingman for scoring and leadership off the bench.’
- ‘He's definitely one of my favorite players, as the 6-foot-7 swingman is skilled at putting the ball in the basket and hustling on defense.’
- ‘Both swingmen play the same position, but oh-so differently.’
- ‘At least they trimmed some excess swingmen away.’
- ‘The second-year swingman - another stunningly sweet Sacramento surprise - probably ranks as the top bench player in the league right now.’
- ‘The Raptors needed a point guard and a center, and they drafted neither, selecting two swingmen instead.’
- ‘The swingman, who has a sweet jump shot, was sidelined by bad knees last season.’
- ‘DePaula, who is expected to be sidelined for about 10 months, had been working as a swingman for the team.’
- ‘More than anything, the team needs his defense on the perimeter against more athletic swingmen.’
- ‘But with no draft choice, very little was added to the top or bottom of Milwaukee's solid band of swingmen.’
- ‘Kosier is valuable as a swingman who can play guard and tackle.’
- ‘Davis is one of the league's most athletic swingmen, and simply loves playing the game and finding new ways to put the ball through the hoop.’
- ‘His 1999 as a swingman was encouraging, his 2000 as a reliever was fantastic.’
- ‘The volatile swingman has been on his best behavior since arriving in Sacramento midway through last season, but many believe it's only a matter of time before he causes some kind of controversy.’
- ‘He would like to return, but the Nets can't spend another season with a 6-5 swingman as the small forward in an ever-growing league.’
- ‘But let's face it, the Warriors had too many people who played the same style last season, and the only thing the overabundance of swingmen did was create mass confusion.’
- ‘The team played hard, but was under-prepared and put together badly for this kind of competition, with a bunch of swingmen who can drive to the basket and a significant lack of big men and outside shooters.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.