One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A door that can be opened in either direction and is closed by a spring device when released.
- ‘He opened a swinging door into a cluttered backroom.’
- ‘Scowling, Sydney reached forward, spun her combination lock free and jerked the small swinging door sharply open.’
- ‘He pushed at a swing door, and the noise boomed out, he walked through.’
- ‘Frantic footsteps pounded down the stairs and the swinging door flew open revealing a harassed-looking teenager with messy brown hair and sharp blue eyes.’
- ‘One day he spilled some whisky going through a swing door and came back for a refill.’
- ‘An officer opened the swinging doors and let her inside the circular court floor.’
- ‘The swinging doors opened and my mom appeared, exhausted.’
- ‘Laughing, Adam pushed open the swinging doors of the saloon and followed Ben into the building.’
- ‘I quietly walked up the concrete steps and pushed open the large wooden swing door.’
- ‘But when she pushes the swinging door open, she's aghast to find her father sitting at the table, eating some taco chips and reading the newspaper.’
- ‘Mac pushed the large swinging doors open and led the way into the main kitchen.’
- ‘‘This is the kitchen,’ I said holding open a swinging door for her.’
- ‘Quickly, I crashed through a swing door on my left.’
- ‘The head doctor opened the swinging doors and came into the hallway.’
- ‘She leaned her back against the swing door and pushed it open with her butt.’
- ‘She knows from experience that momentum alone will not carry her through the swing door and begins to collect her energies for the determined shove whilst trotting up the steps.’
- ‘The are seven cubicles in the changing rooms which are sealed by wooden swinging doors and the doors are visible from the central foyer.’
- ‘On my way out of the polling station, I nipped ahead of a flustered looking woman with a double-wide pushchair in order to hold the swinging door open for her.’
- ‘He had just started reading the extensive list of available coffee variations posted against the wall when the swinging door opened and a young man entered.’
- ‘Dustin cautiously approached the swing door that lead to the girls' bathroom.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.