One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A work shift from mid-afternoon to around midnight.
- ‘It happened about a year ago when I was a production superintendent on the swing shift.’
- ‘His story about how he and a buddy used to collect gun powder out of damaged 30 mm rounds and light it off while on swing shift to pass the time really intrigued me.’
- ‘Does anyone work swing shift on a regular basis?’
- ‘He worked swing shift - 3 to 11 p.m. - or graveyard, the night shift.’
- ‘Working class families have done that kind of thing for ever: one parent works the day shift, one swing shift, so as to cover child care.’
- ‘This view is from outside the tunnel, just as the swing shift was ready to go to work.’
- ‘But modern-day life, with its swing shifts and all-night lighting, often manually overrides nature's schedules.’
- ‘My load crew and two other crews were working the swing shift.’
- ‘After a month talking with people who work twelve-hour swing shifts and support a family on $6.50 an hour, the students often feel that returning to sheltered college life is no longer an option.’
- ‘So I would go to college in the daytime, rehearsing on the swing shift and performing and working at the brewery.’
- ‘I figured he'd be at home sleeping before his swing shift.’
- ‘For three weeks he'd watched her leave the hospital after the swing shift, drive to her small house in the suburbs, and eventually go to bed.’
- ‘People shouldn't have to take swing shift jobs if they have kids, or jobs that require a commute if they don't own cars, or jobs that require them to stand if they have circulation problems.’
- ‘Everyone loves them; however, these nurses think that they have paid their dues and have worked more call, night, and swing shifts than anyone else, so they do not need to do it anymore.’
- ‘That day, I was on swing shift and received a call at home shortly before I was leaving for work.’
- ‘To avoid daycare, parents will need complementary part - time jobs, full - time swing shifts, or home - based employment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.