One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bridge over water that can be rotated horizontally to allow ships through.
- ‘Councillor Patterson said he would be happy to support the project providing it is a swing bridge being proposed.’
- ‘And a cable-stayed pedestrian swing bridge is being designed for San Diego.’
- ‘There is a swing bridge over the river and from there a track goes on to Camp Flat, a 4 hour round trip.’
- ‘He did note that the biggest danger was to pedestrians crossing the swing bridge across the canal.’
- ‘She said that for access to the site, the developers would be willing to provide either a fixed bridge or a swing bridge to replace the present bridge over the canal.’
- ‘There's one last lock between the basin and the river, with flashy electronic gates and a swing bridge operated by two uniformed blokes.’
- ‘It became the best surviving example of a large timber bridge in England besides being one of the earliest swing bridges in Europe.’
- ‘We pass a swing bridge that leads, apparently, to nowhere.’
- ‘The gem in the crown is the cable-stayed swing bridge over the Ouse itself.’
- ‘Many of the locks have already been restored and the swing bridges re-installed, and boats can now reach Melbourne, about halfway along the length of the canal.’
- ‘The six-mile bypass, which is due to open later this year, will include a new swing bridge over the River Ouse as well as five other bridges and four roundabouts.’
- ‘Follow this, and cross the swing bridge over the River Hull.’
- ‘Both rivers had swing bridges built across them and these were very narrow and took pedestrian traffic only.’
- ‘Fred remembers one incident when a 50 ft narrowboat was swept by the force of the current into a tree blocking one arch of the swing bridge soon after it had left the lock.’
- ‘Whitby will receive the larger amount, a total of £425,000 for the work that includes the renewal of steel sheet piling, repairs to the swing bridge and anti-corrosion work.’
- ‘Meades also visited the swing bridge in Newcastle where he examined the letters from children thanking the bridge engineer for showing them how its worked.’
- ‘My father took great risks as he led us over some really primitive swing bridges and rickety wooden ones.’
- ‘We cross a swing bridge over the Grey River and make our way through a forest of mature southern Beech trees to a wide shingle beach.’
- ‘The police spokesman said whenever there were problems with the swing bridge, it cut the town off from the outside world.’
- ‘Leave the lane when you reach a small open parking area on the right by the canal and cross it via a black and white swing bridge on your right to join the towpath.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.