Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A form of influenza that affects pigs, or a form of human influenza that is caused by a related virus.
- ‘The outbreak of swine flu, which has already claimed 429 lives around the world, will undoubtedly damage the already fragile global economy.’
- ‘Overall, at least seven countries are dealing with confirmed or suspected cases of swine flu.’
- ‘Several million people could become ill with either seasonal flu or swine flu by the end of the year.’
- ‘The Scottish couple suffering from swine flu, from Polmont, near Falkirk had been in Mexico on honeymoon in Cancun.’
- ‘Swine flu went from unknown, to hysteria, to uninteresting in days.’
- ‘Swine flu is also crowding out regular flu viruses.’
- ‘Sebelius went on to say that vaccines, not school closings, need to be the defense against swine flu.’
- ‘Its aggressive approach to swine flu in recent months is credited with keeping the number of infected within its borders to a minimum.’
- ‘It had been asked to provide feedback from GPs about swine flu.’
- ‘In New York, he has been at the forefront of the fight against swine flu.’
- ‘Perhaps influenced by Central American preoccupations with swine flu, the Panama Star said British MPs had succumbed to a worldwide disease.’
- ‘Yesterday the first cases of swine flu among people who had not visited Mexico were confirmed.’
- ‘A health official says the first case of swine flu has been diagnosed in the Palestinian areas.’
- ‘Ireland also reported its first probable case of swine flu this afternoon, a man who has recently returned from Mexico.’
- ‘We're going to make our way to the hospital where some of the first cases of swine flu were treated.’
- ‘Another Briton, unconnected to the schools visit, is also hospitalised with swine flu.’
- ‘Well, still ahead we're talking about how schools are preparing for swine flu.’
- ‘Health officials in California have confirmed two deaths related to swine flu.’
- ‘Three girls who were confirmed to have contracted swine flu were taken to hospital.’
- ‘There is now an approved lab to test for swine flu in Richmond, California, the San Francisco Bay area.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.