Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Clothing worn for swimming.
- ‘You can match your swimwear with your skirts for new looks as you go from the beach to the bar for a drink.’
- ‘She eventually managed to find a shop which sold swimwear, and chose a black two-piece which she could not imagine herself wearing.’
- ‘Potential applications include fabrics for dresses and blouses as well as swimwear and aerobic wear because the fiber dyes well with spandex.’
- ‘Although women usually get all the attention during summer, now men can also make a few heads turn with the right swimwear.’
- ‘Other women on the beach were wearing traditional swimwear, which included skirts, long-sleeved blouses and stockings.’
- ‘A lot of women want to find cheap plus size swimwear because they are buying it for a holiday and probably won't wear it that often when they return home.’
- ‘The company supplies quality underwear and swimwear in a large range of sizes and styles.’
- ‘The collections featured included resort wear, brights, casual wear, executive, formal clothes and swimwear.’
- ‘To a lesser extent, the line includes swimwear, bats and bags (from handbags to make-up bags).’
- ‘The two brands provide a series of swimwear, gym wear, underwear and accessories which are young, sporty and sexy.’
- ‘The right compartment had all her casual clothes, her blouse, jeans, pants, dresses and even swimwear were.’
- ‘Entirely sensibly, I came to the conclusion that I don't look good in swimwear and a sash, and my head's too big for a tiara.’
- ‘Once she arrives she will be given a glamorous wardrobe packed with designer gowns, swimwear and suits.’
- ‘Everybody else put on their clothes over their swimwear, and gathered up their things, then they started to head out of the sports center.’
- ‘Avoid wearing shiny or sparkling swimwear as this makes you look like fish-like and may provoke a shark attack or big fish attack.’
- ‘The firm, set up in 1957, manufactures lingerie, swimwear and nightwear for high street stores and designer labels.’
- ‘Remember, our selling collections, which incorporate knitwear, bags and swimwear, are huge.’
- ‘You would be advised to wear comfortable shoes, swimwear and other gear and, of course, take sunglasses and a hat!’
- ‘Well it's coming up to summer again which means that the layers of clothing are reduced and on many occasions little but swimwear will be called for.’
- ‘Even in swimwear they dress formal, I laughed to myself.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.