One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The sport or activity of propelling oneself through water using the limbs.
- ‘What was accomplished in Missouri was a major triumph for the sport of swimming.’
- ‘Water sports such as canoeing, yachting, windsurfing and swimming should be encouraged.’
- ‘Eileen also plays basketball but swimming is her favourite sport.’
- ‘I can perform other activities, including swimming, yoga, running without significant pain.’
- ‘They can spend their time here relaxing, walking, sunbathing, swimming and scuba diving.’
- ‘These four gentlemen showed everyone that swimming is truly a sport that can be enjoyed for life.’
- ‘Experienced instructors often say that swimming is as natural an activity as walking.’
- ‘It is hoped that the scheme will tempt more local people to use the city's world-class swimming and sports facilities.’
- ‘He said swimming was a technical sport which required swimmers to be taught certain reflexes while still young in order to be top-class swimmers.’
- ‘Fishing, waterskiing, windsurfing, boat races and swimming are also favorite activities.’
- ‘Not much here except clear clean water for great swimming and snorkeling.’
- ‘Place the water bottle and any swimming aids at the shallow end.’
- ‘They should also be able to give a view on how other swimming and sports facilities can be modernised.’
- ‘Once the acute pain has settled, a gradual return to activities such as swimming and walking should be undertaken.’
- ‘He was fond of out-door activities and enjoyed swimming, hill-walking and cycling.’
- ‘I have coached both swimming and water polo at the club, high school and collegiate levels.’
- ‘At most girls' schools basketball and hockey were the winter sports with tennis and swimming and lifesaving in summer.’
- ‘Tourism has been limited, with the obvious activity of swimming restricted by strong coastal currents in the area.’
- ‘Unlike walking and other motions, swimming is not a natural activity for the human body.’
- ‘Sports such as swimming and athletics, which don't need much equipment, are fine.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.