Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small fox with a yellowish-buff coat and a black-tipped tail, living on the plains of North America.
- ‘There are insects, salamanders, turtles, swift foxes, and lots of birds.’
- ‘Wolves, grizzlies, prairie dogs, and swift fox are just a few of the species eliminated from much of their former range by government agents.’
- ‘Prairie dogs also provide food for the swift fox, the coyote, weasels, snakes, badgers, hawks and golden eagles as well as crucial habitat for many other native plants and animals.’
- ‘Coyotes prey on swift foxes, so park personnel introduced them to areas outside known coyote territories, which are determined through radio collars attached to trapped animals.’
- ‘A painted lady feeds on the nutrient-rich carcass of a swift fox in western South Dakota.’
- ‘Once common across the plains of Canada, the disappearance of the swift fox was rapid in the nineteenth century due the market for their pelts so that by the late 1920s there were no more in Canada.’
- ‘The conservation plan for the swift fox includes states in the area covered by its range: Colorado, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, and Wyoming.’
- ‘These areas provide critical habitat for sage grouse, black-footed ferrets, swift foxes and black - tailed prairie dogs, whose plight NWF has brought to the forefront.’
- ‘Predators, such as coyotes, swift foxes, and skunks, are a major problem for ground nesting birds.’
- ‘And now Europe, where the Arctic fox suffers from a similar fate as the swift fox, is looking to Cochrane for answers.’
- ‘The Blackfeet Indians are reintroducing swift foxes to their Montana reservation.’
- ‘Working collaboratively allowed those resources to be used to promote long-term conservation of the swift fox.’
- ‘Twenty swift foxes were released last week onto the Blackfeet Indian Reservation on the high plains of northern Montana.’
- ‘Montana native and Defenders of Wildlife Board Member Ira New Breast was named a Conservation Hero by the Walt Disney Wildlife Conservation Fund for his work with swift foxes.’
- ‘Many species depend on the prairie dog for food or habitat, such as the swift fox, burrowing owl, and ferruginous hawk.’
- ‘Reintroduction of the swift fox took only about six months, from conception of the plan to breeding, transport and release in the Blackfeet Indian Reservation in northwestern Montana, where they had been declared extinct in 1969.’
- ‘Burrowing owl, feruginous hawk, swift fox and golden eagle numbers have also plummeted over the decades in conjunction with diminishing prairie dog towns.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.