Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Uncomfortably hot.‘the sweltering afternoon heat’
- ‘Almost overnight, it seems, pavement cafés have sprung up around the city and are the coolest places to be on sweltering afternoons.’
- ‘During our sweltering American summer, the average temperature in this northern city hovers around a comfortable 75 degrees.’
- ‘Men lived and worked with volatile herbicides for ten days straight each fortnight, some over several years, in the sweltering monsoonal climate.’
- ‘On a sweltering hot day, May 31, 1982, Pope John Paul II arrived at the racecourse to be welcomed by a sea of pilgrims.’
- ‘A calm air - despite the sweltering Spanish heat - emanated.’
- ‘According to reports from Chris, who went out there a few days ago, the weather has ranged from sweltering to incapacitating.’
- ‘Working in the train wasn't easy because there was no air conditioning and it was utterly sweltering.’
- ‘Gold miners often have to descend more than 3 kilometres underground to drill ore in sweltering narrow tunnels.’
- ‘It's 9: 15 on a sweltering September morning in San Francisco, and Guru.com's tunnel-like office space is coming to life.’
- ‘The screaming fans couldn't compose themselves even in the sweltering heat.’
- ‘Indianapolis is a flat track with decent grip, but Ince knew much or that grip would disappear after several laps in sweltering conditions.’
- ‘Still, temperatures in the low 90 s, with sweltering humidity, did produce some grumbling.’
- ‘The air conditioning was broken, so the cab was sweltering.’
- ‘I was stone cold sober, and the room was sweltering.’
- ‘And it is not just office workers who will be suffering if the sweltering temperatures arrive.’
- ‘I'm all for dogs enjoying themselves but are we sure that is what they will do on a sweltering sea shore?’
- ‘Many urbanites in southern Europe flee their sweltering cities for the mountains or coast in summer.’
- ‘The mercury reached a sweltering 107 degrees in Dallas on Sunday.’
- ‘As it was, we spent a couple of sweltering hours there and left.’
- ‘Legend has it that apprentice salesmen must prove themselves by manning a winter coat stall in the sweltering month of August.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.