Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An abnormal enlargement of a part of the body, typically as a result of an accumulation of fluid.
bump, lump, bulge, inflammation, protuberance, excrescence, enlargement, distension, prominence, protrusion, tumour, node, noduleView synonyms
- ‘Often, there is a firm swelling or lump in the area of the tumor.’
- ‘Fungal infections of the scalp can cause kerions pus filled inflammatory swellings that may look like bacterial abscesses.’
- ‘Previously, he had been told the swelling was caused by enlargement of the parotids.’
- ‘Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy displayed Candida esophagitis and a localized swelling of the fundic mucosa.’
- ‘You may have vertigo because of swelling or fluid in your inner ear.’
- ‘An aneurysm is a swelling in part of an artery caused by damage to, or weakness of, a blood vessel wall.’
- ‘A 58 year old man was referred to the surgical clinic with a swelling in the natal cleft thought to be a pilonidal mass or abscess.’
- ‘It appears as a soft swelling in the area of the navel (umbilicus).’
- ‘A small amount of cloudy fluid was expressed through a central punctum within the swelling.’
- ‘This deficiency interferes with the normal working of the body's immune system and affects the blood vessels in various parts of the body (where the swellings occur).’
- ‘The differential diagnoses of the swelling, as visualized on MRI scan, were either a post-traumatic seroma or some form of fat necrosis.’
- ‘Small berry swellings on the arteries below the brain are a common cause of strokes in younger people.’
- ‘A bunion is a bony swelling on the side of the big toe.’
- ‘These articles encompassed a broad range of conditions, including ovarian tumors, hydatid cysts, and other abdominal swellings.’
- ‘Pregnancy may cause a localised swelling of the gingival papillae, which may bleed or ulcerate.’
- ‘The palpable swelling at the site of injection is measured and reported as mm of induration.’
- ‘An aneurysm is an abnormal swelling or bulge in the wall of a blood vessel such as an artery.’
- ‘The latter form is usually seen in the lateral meniscus due to loose capsular attachment, and appears as a swelling on the lateral joint line.’
- ‘An epididymal cyst is a fluid filled swelling of the epididymis.’
- ‘Three months after the injury the boy presented with a hard painless swelling across the front of the hip which restricted flexion.’
- 1.1 A natural rounded protuberance.‘the lobes are prominent swellings on the base of the brain’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.