Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A round or heart-shaped custard apple that has a green scaly rind and a sweet pulp.Also called sugar apple
- ‘Fruit bats in the Cayman Islands are considered to be crop pests and information is available from the National Trust to help farmers to protect their sweetsops and other soft-skinned fruits.’
- ‘There is also plenty of tropical fruits such as bananas, pineapples, coconuts and the less popular outside Jamaica: pawpaws, guineps and sweetsops.’
- ‘Locally grown fruit and vegetables can be a bargain - Jaffa oranges and other citrus fruit of course, but also exotic fruits such as fresh dates, persimmons, custard apples (sweetsops) and starfruits.’
- ‘There were limes, sweetsops, callaloo, guava, sugar cane and exotic new Asian delicacies like bitter melon.’
- ‘The sweetsop has two harvests from February to March, and from September to November.’
- ‘Among the more exotic fruits popular in Jamaica are guineps, pawpaw, sweetsops and the star apple.’
- ‘The skin of a sweetsop is purple and is well sweeter and less custard-like than soursop.’
- ‘He recited a litany of the fruit there, including mangoes, papayas, sweetsops, cherries and coconuts.’
- ‘An organic tropical orchard supplies all kinds of fruits, from pomegranate to jackfruit to soursop and sweetsop to cherry, naseberry, and other indigenous fruits.’
- ‘Irrigation during the dry season and once during ripening will increase the size of Jamaican sweetsop.’
- ‘The gardens are fully of all the Jamaican local favorites, including fruit trees such as banana, sweetsop, mangos and much more.’
- ‘Jamaica has the best fruits ever so when I visit I eat lots of mangoes and sweetsops whenever they are in season.’
- ‘At my job at the software company, I had a co-worker who was an exotic fruit fiend, and I got introduced to sweetsops and cactus fruit and the cherimoya.’
- ‘The mouth watering range of tropical fruits include banana, pawpaw, pineapple, coconut, sweetsops and papaya.’
- ‘Soursop and custard apple are widely distributed in Central America and the Caribbean, while sweetsop is commonest in India and Southeast Asia.’
- ‘The fruits most likely to be intended by the term are cherimoya, sugar-apple (alias sweetsop), bullock's heart, and (in the USA) pond apple.’
2The tropical American evergreen shrub that yields the sweetsop.
- ‘In apparently healthy tissues of sweetsop and soursop plants, some fungi promote shoot growth or reduce root growth, while others have no effect on growth of sweetsop seedlings.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.