Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The thymus gland (or, rarely, the pancreas) of an animal, especially as used for food.
- ‘Why bother selling beef liver as calf's when pork liver and lamb sweetbreads are so good!’
- ‘To finish the salad, in a large bowl, toss together the mushrooms, sweetbreads, and tuna, mache with some of the vinaigrette.’
- ‘Arrange some sweetbreads, artichokes, and crawfish in the center, sprinkle the dish with paprika and garnish with chervil.’
- ‘I chose the veal sweetbreads, wild mushrooms, pecans and red wine reduction precisely because I thought it was such an interesting mix.’
- ‘Atherton's schtick is to show off a smorgasbord of offerings - roasted turbot with five-spice oxtail, say, or grilled spring lamb with cinnamon sweetbreads.’
- ‘Cut sweetbreads into four even pieces; dust with fennel pollen.’
- ‘Season sweetbreads with salt and pepper and dredge in flour.’
- ‘Soak sweetbreads in milk in refrigerator for eight hours; blanch and remove outer membrane.’
- ‘It was also at the River Cafe, after graduating in liver appreciation, that I went on to discover the pleasures of sweetbreads, kidneys, tongues and brains.’
- ‘These are made of liver, fat bacon, and sometimes sweetbreads or other offal or lean pork, with garlic, sometimes shallots, and herbs and spices - but not with breadcrumbs or other cereal.’
- ‘I dutifully swigged successive glasses of the Albariño with my codfish confit one night, and again with a thrombotic dish of grilled skate and veal sweetbreads the next.’
- ‘I started off with the roast veal sweetbreads with collop of foie gras and morel jus, while Vicky opted for the roulade of duck fois gras cooked in truffle stock with cherry brioche.’
- ‘Remove meat and sweetbreads from sieve and discard vegetables.’
- ‘Lightly coat sweetbreads in flour and sear until golden brown and crisp.’
- ‘Some very good sweetbreads with wild mushrooms were served at little more than body temperature - slightly queasifying.’
- ‘Soak sweetbreads in water for two hours in refrigerator.’
- ‘Season the sweetbreads with salt, pepper, clove, and cinnamon.’
- ‘We moved on to our starters, with Vicky choosing seared scallops wrapped in pancetta with cider beurre blanc, while I tried the veal sweetbread profiteroles with sauce cevenoles.’
- ‘A roast sweetbread was sauced with a Madeira and truffle mix of improbable delicacy.’
- ‘For the sweetbreads, place the sweetbreads on a cutting board and, using a thin larding needle, lard with smoked bacon.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.