One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The thymus gland (or, rarely, the pancreas) of an animal, especially as used for food.
- ‘Soak sweetbreads in water for two hours in refrigerator.’
- ‘Why bother selling beef liver as calf's when pork liver and lamb sweetbreads are so good!’
- ‘Some very good sweetbreads with wild mushrooms were served at little more than body temperature - slightly queasifying.’
- ‘Cut sweetbreads into four even pieces; dust with fennel pollen.’
- ‘Remove meat and sweetbreads from sieve and discard vegetables.’
- ‘Atherton's schtick is to show off a smorgasbord of offerings - roasted turbot with five-spice oxtail, say, or grilled spring lamb with cinnamon sweetbreads.’
- ‘These are made of liver, fat bacon, and sometimes sweetbreads or other offal or lean pork, with garlic, sometimes shallots, and herbs and spices - but not with breadcrumbs or other cereal.’
- ‘For the sweetbreads, place the sweetbreads on a cutting board and, using a thin larding needle, lard with smoked bacon.’
- ‘I dutifully swigged successive glasses of the Albariño with my codfish confit one night, and again with a thrombotic dish of grilled skate and veal sweetbreads the next.’
- ‘Soak sweetbreads in milk in refrigerator for eight hours; blanch and remove outer membrane.’
- ‘Season the sweetbreads with salt, pepper, clove, and cinnamon.’
- ‘It was also at the River Cafe, after graduating in liver appreciation, that I went on to discover the pleasures of sweetbreads, kidneys, tongues and brains.’
- ‘Arrange some sweetbreads, artichokes, and crawfish in the center, sprinkle the dish with paprika and garnish with chervil.’
- ‘To finish the salad, in a large bowl, toss together the mushrooms, sweetbreads, and tuna, mache with some of the vinaigrette.’
- ‘I started off with the roast veal sweetbreads with collop of foie gras and morel jus, while Vicky opted for the roulade of duck fois gras cooked in truffle stock with cherry brioche.’
- ‘I chose the veal sweetbreads, wild mushrooms, pecans and red wine reduction precisely because I thought it was such an interesting mix.’
- ‘We moved on to our starters, with Vicky choosing seared scallops wrapped in pancetta with cider beurre blanc, while I tried the veal sweetbread profiteroles with sauce cevenoles.’
- ‘Season sweetbreads with salt and pepper and dredge in flour.’
- ‘Lightly coat sweetbreads in flour and sear until golden brown and crisp.’
- ‘A roast sweetbread was sauced with a Madeira and truffle mix of improbable delicacy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.