One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used to refer to the age of sixteen as characterized by prettiness and innocence in a girl.
- ‘And why plan a sweet sixteen when you can't stand what friends you do have?’
- ‘The participants range from pre-teen to sweet sixteen.’
- ‘It only happens once in a lifetime to enjoy a girl's sweet sixteen.’
- ‘I would even greet every single person I come across on my way to the gym, and smile like it was my sweet sixteen today, I'd decided.’
- ‘I didn't know where I was going to spend my sweet sixteen, and I really didn't want to spend it with my parents.’
- ‘All these years later Im absolutely proud of my sweet sixteen, who has trooped around the world with dad, three continents, five states, and a hundred sad goodbyes.’
- ‘Kelly was happy, her sweet sixteen would be great.’
- ‘But one of us won't be having a very sweet sixteen.’
- ‘So back to the point, I received no mode of transportation for turning sweet sixteen.’
- ‘‘But, you're turning sweet sixteen, and I think that calls for a celebration,’ refused Vera.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.