One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A climbing plant of the pea family, widely cultivated for its colorful fragrant flowers.
Genus Lathyrus, family Leguminosae: several species, in particular L. odoratus, which originated in southern Italy and Sicily
- ‘Against a trellis beside a driveway in one garden, the women planted sweet peas that bloom from mid-January or early February into May, depending on the weather.’
- ‘Wild sweet peas flower along the banks for much of the year.’
- ‘Very fancy fences can be created from tall flowering annuals such as cleome, cosmos, dahlias, sweet peas and sunflowers for a display of spring, summer and autumn colour.’
- ‘Keats described the sweet pea flower as ‘wings of gentle flush o'er delicate white.’’
- ‘The more you pick sweet peas, the more flowers they produce.’
- ‘Imagine your garden filled with super-fragrant sweet peas, ruffly-petalled poppies or butterfly-attracting orange tithonias.’
- ‘Poppies, sweet peas, pot marigold and gilia are all waiting in our yard for attention.’
- ‘More seed companies are offering grouped collections, such as various colors of morning glories, or sweet peas dating from Victorian times.’
- ‘She plants tender climbing vines such as wisteria and sweet peas so they can cling to the warm stone walls.’
- ‘The Royal Horticultural Society's Wisley June Flower Show will be held from Tuesday to Thursday, with sweet peas and delphiniums taking centre stage.’
- ‘John Hadley builds his house in 1778 from the timbers of wrecked boats, while the British blockade the port and his wife, Coral, plants turnips and sweet peas.’
- ‘In the cold frame outside the beans, peas Welsh onions and sweet peas are also doing well, and I'm now leaving the lid open all the time.’
- ‘If the weather is good, plant out autumn sown sweet peas.’
- ‘Twist and writhe around your length of bamboo to the likes of Kylie or Gareth, while training your runner beans or sweet peas.’
- ‘Once they start to germinate, plant the sweet peas out into the ground or in containers.’
- ‘Bilaterally symmetrical flowers, such as snapdragons and sweet peas, have distinctive upper and lower petals and are therefore asymmetric from top to bottom.’
- ‘Plant out autumn-sown sweet peas - or sow sweet peas outdoors if you were not able to start them under glass.’
- ‘In addition to snow peas, you can use it to support bush cucumbers, bush squash, some nasturtiums, and sweet peas.’
- ‘This year my garden was a picture of magenta and wine-red dahlias and heavenly old-fashioned sweet peas.’
- ‘Step into the Great Pavilion and you are greeted with a heady mixture of scents from roses, sweet peas and lilies to strawberries and apples.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.