Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A climbing plant of the pea family, widely cultivated for its colorful fragrant flowers.
- ‘Wild sweet peas flower along the banks for much of the year.’
- ‘Against a trellis beside a driveway in one garden, the women planted sweet peas that bloom from mid-January or early February into May, depending on the weather.’
- ‘Twist and writhe around your length of bamboo to the likes of Kylie or Gareth, while training your runner beans or sweet peas.’
- ‘The more you pick sweet peas, the more flowers they produce.’
- ‘Very fancy fences can be created from tall flowering annuals such as cleome, cosmos, dahlias, sweet peas and sunflowers for a display of spring, summer and autumn colour.’
- ‘Plant out autumn-sown sweet peas - or sow sweet peas outdoors if you were not able to start them under glass.’
- ‘John Hadley builds his house in 1778 from the timbers of wrecked boats, while the British blockade the port and his wife, Coral, plants turnips and sweet peas.’
- ‘Poppies, sweet peas, pot marigold and gilia are all waiting in our yard for attention.’
- ‘Step into the Great Pavilion and you are greeted with a heady mixture of scents from roses, sweet peas and lilies to strawberries and apples.’
- ‘The Royal Horticultural Society's Wisley June Flower Show will be held from Tuesday to Thursday, with sweet peas and delphiniums taking centre stage.’
- ‘More seed companies are offering grouped collections, such as various colors of morning glories, or sweet peas dating from Victorian times.’
- ‘Keats described the sweet pea flower as ‘wings of gentle flush o'er delicate white.’’
- ‘Once they start to germinate, plant the sweet peas out into the ground or in containers.’
- ‘Imagine your garden filled with super-fragrant sweet peas, ruffly-petalled poppies or butterfly-attracting orange tithonias.’
- ‘She plants tender climbing vines such as wisteria and sweet peas so they can cling to the warm stone walls.’
- ‘Bilaterally symmetrical flowers, such as snapdragons and sweet peas, have distinctive upper and lower petals and are therefore asymmetric from top to bottom.’
- ‘In the cold frame outside the beans, peas Welsh onions and sweet peas are also doing well, and I'm now leaving the lid open all the time.’
- ‘If the weather is good, plant out autumn sown sweet peas.’
- ‘This year my garden was a picture of magenta and wine-red dahlias and heavenly old-fashioned sweet peas.’
- ‘In addition to snow peas, you can use it to support bush cucumbers, bush squash, some nasturtiums, and sweet peas.’
sweet pea/ˈˌswēt ˈˌpē/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.