One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Words of affection exchanged by lovers.‘whispering sweet nothings in her ear’
sweet nothings, sweet words, sweet talk, affectionate talk, soft wordsView synonyms
- ‘Then she would have leaned over and stroked the mare's neck whispering sweet nothings in her ear as the animal pranced.’
- ‘It was warm and friendly, one of those voices that could soothe hot tempers or whisper sweet nothings in the ear of a lover.’
- ‘She giggled loudly, pretending Joel was whispering sweet nothings into her ear and she was reacting to them.’
- ‘At times, they spoke words of endearment and sweet nothings.’
- ‘There are also various sweet nothings exchanged between the two.’
- ‘Obviously everybody was excited to see me, and the girls in particular were very keen to come and sit on my knee and whisper sweet nothings in my ear.’
- ‘He kissed me on the forehead while doing so and placed me on his lap whispering sweet nothings and soothing words into my ear to calm me.’
- ‘He soothes his people, muttering sweet nothings instead of answering questions or telling the Australian people what this is really all about and what he has really done on our behalf, in defiance of our wishes.’
- ‘Across from me a gay couple exchanges soft kisses and sweet nothings.’
- ‘My partner is forever whispering sweet nothings into my ear, and I never quite know what delights are lined up for me next.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.