One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Words of affection exchanged by lovers.‘whispering sweet nothings in her ear’
sweet nothings, sweet words, sweet talk, affectionate talk, soft wordsView synonyms
- ‘There are also various sweet nothings exchanged between the two.’
- ‘At times, they spoke words of endearment and sweet nothings.’
- ‘It was warm and friendly, one of those voices that could soothe hot tempers or whisper sweet nothings in the ear of a lover.’
- ‘My partner is forever whispering sweet nothings into my ear, and I never quite know what delights are lined up for me next.’
- ‘He kissed me on the forehead while doing so and placed me on his lap whispering sweet nothings and soothing words into my ear to calm me.’
- ‘Obviously everybody was excited to see me, and the girls in particular were very keen to come and sit on my knee and whisper sweet nothings in my ear.’
- ‘He soothes his people, muttering sweet nothings instead of answering questions or telling the Australian people what this is really all about and what he has really done on our behalf, in defiance of our wishes.’
- ‘Then she would have leaned over and stroked the mare's neck whispering sweet nothings in her ear as the animal pranced.’
- ‘She giggled loudly, pretending Joel was whispering sweet nothings into her ear and she was reacting to them.’
- ‘Across from me a gay couple exchanges soft kisses and sweet nothings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.