Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having a gentle, clear, and melodious sound.‘a sweet-sounding female vocalist’‘his acoustic tracks are sweet-sounding’
- ‘Both sound like music with links to the Early Middle Ages, balancing silence with sound in an emotional, sweet-sounding way.’
- ‘The hall's grandly refurbished instrument can be delectably sweet-sounding as well as all too thunderous.’
- ‘Not only does she have a strong, sweet-sounding voice, she's also able to convey an admirable depth of emotion.’
- ‘Instead of the sweet-sounding lyre, he beats a drum, an instrument particularly associated with carnality and sin.’
- ‘The result is as sweet-sounding and authentic as any folk-festival workshop.’
- ‘Either way, Summer Sun's the gentlest and most uniformly sweet-sounding album yet from a band that's worked in increasingly subtle ways from record to record.’
- ‘He allowed himself license of invention to frame and arrange many poetic romances with sweet-sounding words to deceive the reader.’
- ‘Although his latter-day works have been compared to those of Arvo Part and Henryk Gorecki, Tavener's music is different because of its immediate sweet-sounding appeal.’
- ‘A caring, competent doc with a good bedside manner and a plan to save your life is far more comforting than sweet-sounding words.’
- ‘The words themselves are sweet-sounding and cause the mouth to smile when they are spoken.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.