Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having a sweet, pleasant smell.‘sweet-scented flowers’
sweet-scented, sweet-smelling, scented, perfumed, aromatic, sweetView synonyms
- ‘When I was a youngster, my father and I would pile into his old A35 van, leave the grime of our little home town of Barnsley, and in 10 minutes be scrambling over rocks and tramping through sweet-scented heather.’
- ‘Across the street, Bellagio's Conservatory and Botanical Gardens was a lush and sweet-scented retreat.’
- ‘I bought sweet-scented, slender vanilla beans from the Antilles.’
- ‘Also consider nutmeg, star anise, or any other sweet scented spice that you like.’
- ‘Great Ideas for a Romantic Dinner by Ron Zvagelsky [ 2006-10-24 ] A scrumptious dinner with some sweet-scented candles and flowers is really worth coming home to.’
- ‘Planted in a deep tub, within a couple of seasons it will reach for the sky and festoon your railings with its sweet scented flowers.’
- ‘Sweet-scented petals falling from flowering trees in the mountains are said to give the Perfume River its name.’
- ‘Yellow and orange calendulas bloom through winter, as will pink and white English daisies and sweet-scented stock.’
- ‘Confederate or star jasmine is a perennial evergreen with sweet-scented white blooms in late spring.’
- ‘Masses of colourful rhododendrons mingle with the sweet scented yellow azaleas in early summer.’
- ‘When the wind would pick up the place would be awash in a warm, sweet-scented blizzard of cherry blossoms.’
- ‘At night, you can happen upon a fragrant moonflower vine covered with large, white saucer-shaped flowers or sweet-scented night-blooming jasmine.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.