One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive (especially of Chinese-style food) cooked in a sauce containing sugar and either vinegar or lemon.
- ‘Its sweet-and-sour taste complemented the exotic flavours perfectly.’
- ‘This filling meal, another Brasserie speciality, had a tangy, sweet-and-sour flavour which she said was ‘yum yum yum’.’
- ‘It's a tantalising, sherbety, sweet-and-sour effect.’
- ‘He also prepared other fake wood by frying a piece of California pine on his kitchen stove in a mix of wine, iodine, sweet-and-sour and teriyaki sauces.’
- ‘There was no stinting on the amount of king scallops or monkfish tail, both of which were nicely cooked, but the orange-and-fennel sauce was an unpalatable sweet-and-sour diversion.’
- ‘Examples of mycorrhizal fungi include truffles and Auricularia, the mushroom which flavors sweet-and-sour soup.’
- ‘In Norway the grated root is mixed in with whipped sweet-and-sour cream, vinegar, and sugar; this sauce is called pepperrotsaus and is served with cold boiled fish, in particular salmon.’
- ‘Recent concoctions include a sweet-and-sour Sicilian sauce for tuna and a Milanese-style pork tenderloin.’
- ‘This gives La Ravane one of the strangest menus I've ever seen - you'll find meatballs, curries, sweet-and-sour fish, Creole steaks and kulfi ice cream all sharing space on its pages.’
- ‘So next time you dine on sweet-and-sour pork and egg-fried rice in a British Chinese restaurant, please don't forget that that is just the tip, the merest, tiniest tip of the iceberg.’
- ‘We can all make mistakes, and the flavour wasn't as overwhelming as it often is with sweet-and-sour dishes, so no harm done.’
- ‘Fillet of beef, however, is worth relishing in a sweet-and-sour purée of roasted carrot and horseradish.’
- ‘There was a lot of it, perfectly cooked and served with a gigantic green-lip mussel and a beautifully sweet-and-sour Madeira salsa.’
- ‘It is important that the topping provides freshness, colour and contrast, preferably with a sweet-and-sour component.’
- ‘The prime cut of shell steak has a similarly delicious sweet-and-sour taste.’
- ‘Depending on your selection, these mains may be sautéed with veggies, bathed in sweet-and-sour or spicy sauces and seasoned with Thai basil, lime leaves, citronella, ginger or yellow or red curry.’
- ‘On Market Street with its smells of sweet-and-sour pork and exhaust fumes, a man with his belongings in a shopping cart feeds half a slice of bread to the pigeons.’
- ‘But another starter of vegetarian spring rolls was soggy and their sweet-and-sour dip verged on the sickly.’
- ‘Paul lifted the lid off his serving platter to reveal huge pieces of breaded pork covered in sweet-and-sour sauce on a bed of freshly steamed white rice.’
- ‘The rabbit à la flamande comes off the burner with a stewed sweet-and-sour taste.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.