One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A factory or workshop, especially in the clothing industry, where manual workers are employed at very low wages for long hours and under poor conditions.
- ‘The boycott will benefit the workers within the sweatshop.’
- ‘They can be found on farms and plantations, and in factories and sweatshops.’
- ‘Are you careful not to buy products that are mass-produced by low-paid workers in third-world sweatshops?’
- ‘Hundreds of other Asian women are believed to be virtually imprisoned in similar conditions in illegal clothing sweatshops.’
- ‘Lawsuit against fashion designer details sweatshop conditions in New York City garment factories’
- ‘Working conditions vary widely from the worst kind of sweatshop to factory complexes with clinics, schools and entertainment.’
- ‘The conditions in the sweatshops of south east Asia are reminiscent of the way in which Engels described conditions in the north of England in the 1840s.’
- ‘We'll speak with an author who says corporate America is run like a sweatshop and workers can hardly keep up.’
- ‘Saipan has served as a haven for Asian Pacific sweatshops for major US retailers.’
- ‘China is a good economic competitor, where millions of people work for slave wages in sweatshops to make U.S. corporations richer.’
- ‘Third world workers want to toil in sweatshops, recognizing that it improves their prospects.’
- ‘Morris could see neither of these in the use of machinery in the Victorian factories and sweatshops that surrounded him.’
- ‘On Tuesday police rescued child workers from a sweatshop operating in the Manila suburb of Binondo.’
- ‘Higher oil and raw material prices have also forced factory sweatshops to further slash the impoverished wages and conditions.’
- ‘A sweatshop is a factory where the workers do long hours for low pay, they may have to work in uncomfortable or dangerous conditions.’
- ‘The existence of sweatshops in Hong Kong is directly attributable to the Cold War.’
- ‘If we listen to some of the speeches from the other side of the House, we get the impression that some of these workshops are sweatshops.’
- ‘The program featured images of women and children working long hours in sweatshops making sneakers.’
- ‘Western concern at the plight of workers in sweatshops is touching.’
- ‘Two weeks ago, Farias's office participated in 81 raids of sweatshops that employ immigrant labor.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.