One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A loose, heavy shirt, typically made of cotton, worn when exercising or as leisurewear.
- ‘The other two guys, Sean and Brandon, were dressed in jeans and sweatshirts.’
- ‘The zip-front styles make them more adaptable than sweatshirts and the material is warmer than a cardigan.’
- ‘The donation consists of 30 kits for school and youth teams including shirts, shorts, sweatshirts, balls and bags.’
- ‘They wore old flannel shirts, and sweatshirts that hung over ripped jeans.’
- ‘Right now he was wearing a Rancid sweatshirt with dark blue jeans and a black hat.’
- ‘She is a typical teenager, dressed in dark clothing and a black sweatshirt complete with hood.’
- ‘She pulled out a drawer, picking out a few shirts and sweatshirts that she would like to take when she was away.’
- ‘Gazing at the various NYC baseball caps and sweatshirts, I felt rather queasy.’
- ‘For trading in my tank tops for sweatshirts, for taking the air conditioners out and putting the storm windows in.’
- ‘The spirit of the Italian delegation, in their yellow caps and sweatshirts and their chants about Genoa, was completely different.’
- ‘I packed everything from sweatshirts to bikinis to thongs to sneakers.’
- ‘People in Devonshire don't walk around wearing jeans and sweatshirts during the dog days of summer.’
- ‘His denim jeans were well-worn but clean and he was wearing a plain, blue cotton jacket over a maroon sweatshirt.’
- ‘What about the people who wear hooded sweatshirts because they keep you warm and cover your head from the rain?’
- ‘Theo walked over to her with a sweatshirt and sweatpants and took the picture.’
- ‘Young people like jeans and sweatshirts with American slogans or logos.’
- ‘We were desperate to emulate our heroes in Bulgaria and Russia, so we ripped our ballet tights and wore our sweatshirts inside out.’
- ‘So there was everyone looking like goddam snowmen wearing scarf three sweatshirts, gloves, and beanies.’
- ‘They were wearing dark tracksuit bottoms and sweatshirts.’
- ‘We had decided to remain in our pajamas and dress warmly using sweatshirts and scarves.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.