Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A knitted garment typically with long sleeves, worn over the upper body.
- ‘If wool yarn is used in any of the sweaters, the finished garment should be dry cleaned or gently hand washed.’
- ‘He wore handmade wool sweaters and long Mexican ponchos.’
- ‘The frequency with which wool and cashmere sweaters should be washed varies.’
- ‘The new procedures call for the removal of all outer garments, including sweaters and sweatshirts.’
- ‘They were twenty-somethings with short haircuts wearing black crewneck or turtle neck sweaters.’
- ‘Local men wore turbans, and shalwar kameez with wool vests or sweaters.’
- ‘A nice pair of jeans with a cashmere pullover sweater and a nice pair of shoes is a good look.’
- ‘Bulky wool sweaters, for example, will add undesired volume to your waist and chest.’
- ‘While gray suits are still all the rage, gray knits, shirts and sweaters are no longer as trendy.’
- ‘Last I checked, there were more options in the closet than plunging necklines and bulky sweaters.’
- ‘Woolen sweaters, cardigans, mittens, and socks were knitted with elaborate patterns.’
- ‘Members of the cooperative spin and dye wool, knit sweaters, and also make ceramic crafts.’
- ‘Even with her wool sweaters, shirts, leggings, socks, and cloak, she was still cold.’
- ‘The countryside was a major theme with rustic cord jodhpurs, pedal pushers with buttons at the knee, checked shirts and Aran sweaters.’
- ‘Everyone around is wearing colourful sweaters, cardigans and pullovers.’
- ‘For less formal moments, there are shirts and sweaters with coordinated gloves.’
- ‘She concealed her arm beneath sweaters with sleeves that dangled loosely, even in sweltering weather.’
- ‘Models sashayed the catwalk in their jeans, textural cable knit sweaters and big fur bags.’
- ‘Short sleeves, chunky sweaters are part of this season's look.’
- ‘This includes everything from jeans and knit shirts to sweaters and sweats.’
2dated An employer who works employees hard in poor conditions for low pay.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.