One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A knitted garment typically with long sleeves, worn over the upper body.
- ‘Woolen sweaters, cardigans, mittens, and socks were knitted with elaborate patterns.’
- ‘The frequency with which wool and cashmere sweaters should be washed varies.’
- ‘Short sleeves, chunky sweaters are part of this season's look.’
- ‘Members of the cooperative spin and dye wool, knit sweaters, and also make ceramic crafts.’
- ‘The countryside was a major theme with rustic cord jodhpurs, pedal pushers with buttons at the knee, checked shirts and Aran sweaters.’
- ‘Everyone around is wearing colourful sweaters, cardigans and pullovers.’
- ‘Last I checked, there were more options in the closet than plunging necklines and bulky sweaters.’
- ‘Bulky wool sweaters, for example, will add undesired volume to your waist and chest.’
- ‘For less formal moments, there are shirts and sweaters with coordinated gloves.’
- ‘A nice pair of jeans with a cashmere pullover sweater and a nice pair of shoes is a good look.’
- ‘He wore handmade wool sweaters and long Mexican ponchos.’
- ‘She concealed her arm beneath sweaters with sleeves that dangled loosely, even in sweltering weather.’
- ‘While gray suits are still all the rage, gray knits, shirts and sweaters are no longer as trendy.’
- ‘Even with her wool sweaters, shirts, leggings, socks, and cloak, she was still cold.’
- ‘Models sashayed the catwalk in their jeans, textural cable knit sweaters and big fur bags.’
- ‘They were twenty-somethings with short haircuts wearing black crewneck or turtle neck sweaters.’
- ‘This includes everything from jeans and knit shirts to sweaters and sweats.’
- ‘The new procedures call for the removal of all outer garments, including sweaters and sweatshirts.’
- ‘Local men wore turbans, and shalwar kameez with wool vests or sweaters.’
- ‘If wool yarn is used in any of the sweaters, the finished garment should be dry cleaned or gently hand washed.’
2dated An employer who works employees hard in poor conditions for low pay.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.