One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A knitted garment typically with long sleeves, worn over the upper body.
- ‘Members of the cooperative spin and dye wool, knit sweaters, and also make ceramic crafts.’
- ‘Bulky wool sweaters, for example, will add undesired volume to your waist and chest.’
- ‘Woolen sweaters, cardigans, mittens, and socks were knitted with elaborate patterns.’
- ‘Everyone around is wearing colourful sweaters, cardigans and pullovers.’
- ‘She concealed her arm beneath sweaters with sleeves that dangled loosely, even in sweltering weather.’
- ‘Short sleeves, chunky sweaters are part of this season's look.’
- ‘Last I checked, there were more options in the closet than plunging necklines and bulky sweaters.’
- ‘Local men wore turbans, and shalwar kameez with wool vests or sweaters.’
- ‘While gray suits are still all the rage, gray knits, shirts and sweaters are no longer as trendy.’
- ‘Models sashayed the catwalk in their jeans, textural cable knit sweaters and big fur bags.’
- ‘The frequency with which wool and cashmere sweaters should be washed varies.’
- ‘The new procedures call for the removal of all outer garments, including sweaters and sweatshirts.’
- ‘They were twenty-somethings with short haircuts wearing black crewneck or turtle neck sweaters.’
- ‘A nice pair of jeans with a cashmere pullover sweater and a nice pair of shoes is a good look.’
- ‘Even with her wool sweaters, shirts, leggings, socks, and cloak, she was still cold.’
- ‘If wool yarn is used in any of the sweaters, the finished garment should be dry cleaned or gently hand washed.’
- ‘The countryside was a major theme with rustic cord jodhpurs, pedal pushers with buttons at the knee, checked shirts and Aran sweaters.’
- ‘He wore handmade wool sweaters and long Mexican ponchos.’
- ‘This includes everything from jeans and knit shirts to sweaters and sweats.’
- ‘For less formal moments, there are shirts and sweaters with coordinated gloves.’
2dated An employer who works employees hard in poor conditions for low pay.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.