One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A band of absorbent material worn around the head or wrist to soak up sweat, especially by participants in sports.
- ‘I'm into ‘lo life’ polo shirts and tees, they're my thing, just as long as they have my size and I can accessorise them nicely, with flat caps or headbands and matching sweatbands.’
- ‘There's Carlos Moyà, who appears to be some sort of tennis god, direct from central casting, with the long, bronzed limbs and the sweatband keeping his rock-star hair on.’
- ‘First there was aerobics, with its perky wardrobe of pastel tights and leotards with matching elastic belts, legwarmers, and sweatbands.’
- ‘Which would be fine if the 1980s really was the best thing since leg-warmers, sweatbands, Prince, Madonna, Thatcher, strikes, riots and Hillsborough.’
- ‘She shook her head, motioning toward the pool with the oxygen-tubes strapped to her back, blond hair held in place by a sweatband.’
- ‘It was so hot that I wore tennis sweatbands on my wrists to play.’
- ‘He was wearing a sweatband and wristband that matched.’
- ‘The inside portion of this strap acts like a sweatband.’
- ‘In particular, I can't stand the central atrium; it gives me a bad eighties feeling - of wine bars, terrycloth sweatbands, neon flamingos.’
- ‘However, exercise-wear is a free-for-all - Chucks, fishnets, sweatbands, legwarmers and vintage band tees all feature, which makes for amusing demonstration shots.’
- ‘While being coached, top athletes are encouraged to soak armbands and sweatbands in their favourite aftershave or perfume.’
- ‘His shirt was black with some symbol on the front and he wore black sweatbands on his wrists.’
- ‘He is tossing out T-shirts, hats, aprons, and sweatbands to throngs of young people.’
- ‘We liked to invite aliens into the living room like Alf and ET, and when Fame came on the tele’ we'd dance along in our legwarmers, crop tops and sweatbands.’
- ‘Nathan has several ‘souvenirs’ - Cyclone players' wrist sweatbands and game gloves - received during post-game high-fives on the field this fall.’
- ‘Luke Wilson, as Richie, the washed-up tennis champion in love with his sister, offers some of the most moving scenes in the film, and manages it all while sporting sunglasses and a sweatband.’
- ‘I'm such the antithesis of what Nike wants their consumers to be that they'll pay me a seven figure sum not to wear their shoes, track pants, jumpers, earrings, sweatbands or tee shirts.’
- ‘I put on my socks, the jock, the shorts, and then the jersey, followed by sweatbands on my left arm and an elbow pad on my right arm.’
- ‘And regularly wash baseball caps, sweatbands or anything else you use to pull your hair back from your face.’
- ‘He was wearing a black t-shirt with some band's name on the front, and black sweatbands on his wrists.’
- 1.1 A band of absorbent material lining a hat.
- ‘Only buy a panama hat with a sweatband, which helps keep your hat in place and prevents it from stretching out.’
- ‘New this year from Bodek and Rhodes is Anvil style 176, a washed brushed twill cap with a contrasting sweatband, under-bill and tape seams, and silver buckle closure.’
- ‘What happens is the sweatband does its job and collects any moisture when you are wearing the cap.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.