One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be extremely anxious or nervous.
- ‘Now everyone's sweating bullets as Melvin tries to set things straight before HE'S on the list for the next big hit!’
- ‘Or do I just write him back and point this out to him, leaving him to sweat bullets wondering whether I'm going to report it to his company?’
- ‘I had read that she should be smiling at me by the fourth week, and at the end of last week I was sweating bullets that she might not reach this milestone on time.’
- ‘Here's something that has network news executives sweating bullets.’
- ‘Nonetheless, this should have media titans everywhere sweating bullets.’
- ‘When two such diametrically opposed yet astute observers agree, you can bet the politicians are sweating bullets.’
- ‘Now sweating bullets, he realized the burglar had a knife and could still rush at him.’
- ‘This is the kind of idea that makes death penalty zealots sweat bullets.’
- ‘Dein refused, but you can bet he is still sweating bullets at the prospect of losing his manager.’
- ‘I'm sure your date is downstairs sweating bullets,’ her father laughed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.