One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be extremely anxious or nervous.
- ‘Now sweating bullets, he realized the burglar had a knife and could still rush at him.’
- ‘Nonetheless, this should have media titans everywhere sweating bullets.’
- ‘Now everyone's sweating bullets as Melvin tries to set things straight before HE'S on the list for the next big hit!’
- ‘I had read that she should be smiling at me by the fourth week, and at the end of last week I was sweating bullets that she might not reach this milestone on time.’
- ‘Here's something that has network news executives sweating bullets.’
- ‘I'm sure your date is downstairs sweating bullets,’ her father laughed.’
- ‘Or do I just write him back and point this out to him, leaving him to sweat bullets wondering whether I'm going to report it to his company?’
- ‘Dein refused, but you can bet he is still sweating bullets at the prospect of losing his manager.’
- ‘This is the kind of idea that makes death penalty zealots sweat bullets.’
- ‘When two such diametrically opposed yet astute observers agree, you can bet the politicians are sweating bullets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.