Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The practicing of outdoor survival skills as a sport or hobby.
- ‘From an early age, he was obsessed with survivalism.’
2The policy of trying to ensure one's own survival or that of one's social or national group.
- ‘Darwin's survivalism supplied Marx's opiate, if only indirectly.’
- ‘I suggest that Acorn is best viewed as a kind of left-wing communitarian survivalism.’
- ‘However, a utopianism that has shrunk to the dimensions of survivalism is perhaps part of the problem rather than its solution.’
- ‘In a time when social change is off the agenda, therapy culture unites conservatism and radicalism under an umbrella of survivalism.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.