One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Marxist theory) the excess of value produced by the labor of workers over the wages they are paid.
- ‘Out of the growing mass of surplus value, capitalist governments were able to finance social welfare spending and other concessions to the working class.’
- ‘Surplus labour creates surplus value, and on Marx's analysis, surplus value is the source of all profit.’
- ‘At a certain point it is confronted with the fact that it is a claim on surplus value and this surplus value has to be actually extracted from the working class.’
- ‘Capitalism works through wages and surplus value.’
- ‘Typically they argued that capitalists obtain surplus value by purchasing labour for less than the value of its products.’
surplus value/ˈsərpləs ˈvalyo͞o/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.