One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Incomparable or outstanding.‘a picture of surpassing beauty’
exceptional, extraordinary, remarkable, outstanding, striking, phenomenal, rare, great, supreme, sublime, pre-eminent, consummate, incomparable, inimitable, incredible, unrivalled, unparalleled, matchless, unmatched, unequalled, peerless, unsurpassed, superlative, beyond words, beyond descriptionView synonyms
- ‘This has led to some renditions of surpassing corniness, with this year no exception.’
- ‘Many people know the story of Padmini, the queen of Chittaur, whose surpassing beauty led Alauddin Khilji, the Sultan of Delhi, to wage a ruthless war.’
- ‘They will enter a hall of surpassing beauty, with walls of Douglas fir that flow as elegantly as the lines of a fine instrument, a space as soulful in its way as the cathedral's nave.’
- ‘Frequently incorrect, occasionally even inaccurate, he nevertheless stirs orchestras into producing sounds of surpassing beauty, using wildly unconventional hand movements that even he cannot reproduce when not conducting.’
- ‘Not only are they among the largest and most stately trees on earth, but they thrive in settings of surpassing scenic beauty.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.