One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or characteristic of Suriname or its people.‘many Surinamese folk tales are based on African traditions’
- ‘Can you recommend any Surinamese restaurants or takeaways in your neighbourhood?’
- ‘Jai's song is riding high here in Holland, among the Dutch Surinamese population.’
- ‘The player is a Dutchman of Surinamese origin.’
- ‘There is a whole wealth of takeaway options here: Moroccan, Indonesian, Turkish, Syrian and Surinamese to name but a few.’
- ‘We left our boats on the river and trudged into the Surinamese jungle without speaking.’
A native or inhabitant of Suriname, or a person of Surinamese descent.‘the Surinamese take great pride in their temple buildings’
- ‘It is in this rich ethnic mixture that the modern Surinamese have their roots.’
- ‘With the independence of Surinam in 1975, and even earlier, many Surinamese came to Holland to work or study.’
- ‘In the international meet in Perth, this hardworking Surinamese had won the men's 100m butterfly with a time of 53.59 seconds.’
- ‘Many Surinamese want stronger links to the Caribbean and North America.’
- ‘The Surinamese speak more than 10 other languages, including variants of Chinese, Hindi, Javanese and half a dozen original Creoles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.