One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The sport or pastime of riding a wave toward the shore while standing or lying on a surfboard.
- ‘The sport that mixes elements of kite flying, wind surfing and surfing has grown rapidly over the past five years.’
- ‘While Morgan didn't have any idea what the ‘rush’ would feel like, he thought it seemed like a suitably vague term for the sport of surfing.’
- ‘His perception of surfing is as the sport and lifestyle should be, positively happy.’
- ‘Though it sounds intimidating at first, Addison insists that river surfing is an accessible sport with the right introduction, which he gives.’
- ‘Her parents moved over to the islands in the late sixties and fell in love with the sport of surfing.’
- ‘One of my favorite sports of summer, surfing has its strong points and fantastic features that many non-surfers do not know about.’
- ‘What they gave us is their snapshot look at contemporary surfing, for good or ill.’
- ‘The event was the men's open division and the top surfers took advantage of favourable conditions with some high scoring rides and explosive surfing on the big waves.’
- ‘However, despite that the sport of surfing continues to grow in popularity.’
- ‘The key concept in catching waves in all forms of surfing is to try to match approaching wave speed.’
- ‘Waves do bash its shores, and there is great surfing year-round.’
- ‘Madeira has a host of water sports options including surfing and water skiing.’
- ‘This was, of course, the one period in surfing which saw the most radical change.’
- ‘The power and performance level that Laird has brought into the sport of surfing is unparalleled.’
- ‘Coffs Harbour is a pretty little town in which surfing is the sport of choice.’
- ‘What we have here is an examination of the impact of surfing on the lives of several men and women.’
- ‘Riding boards in a prone position has been around probably longer than stand-up surfing.’
- ‘The wide world of surfing made the front page of the Los Angeles Times this morning.’
- ‘As the final went on, perhaps an hour in length, the present and future of surfing were on display.’
- ‘Is this really the extreme to which the high life of surfing has finally been reduced?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.