One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The sport or pastime of riding a wave toward the shore while standing or lying on a surfboard.
- ‘Riding boards in a prone position has been around probably longer than stand-up surfing.’
- ‘However, despite that the sport of surfing continues to grow in popularity.’
- ‘His perception of surfing is as the sport and lifestyle should be, positively happy.’
- ‘The key concept in catching waves in all forms of surfing is to try to match approaching wave speed.’
- ‘One of my favorite sports of summer, surfing has its strong points and fantastic features that many non-surfers do not know about.’
- ‘The event was the men's open division and the top surfers took advantage of favourable conditions with some high scoring rides and explosive surfing on the big waves.’
- ‘Coffs Harbour is a pretty little town in which surfing is the sport of choice.’
- ‘While Morgan didn't have any idea what the ‘rush’ would feel like, he thought it seemed like a suitably vague term for the sport of surfing.’
- ‘The power and performance level that Laird has brought into the sport of surfing is unparalleled.’
- ‘Waves do bash its shores, and there is great surfing year-round.’
- ‘This was, of course, the one period in surfing which saw the most radical change.’
- ‘What we have here is an examination of the impact of surfing on the lives of several men and women.’
- ‘Her parents moved over to the islands in the late sixties and fell in love with the sport of surfing.’
- ‘Is this really the extreme to which the high life of surfing has finally been reduced?’
- ‘The sport that mixes elements of kite flying, wind surfing and surfing has grown rapidly over the past five years.’
- ‘As the final went on, perhaps an hour in length, the present and future of surfing were on display.’
- ‘Though it sounds intimidating at first, Addison insists that river surfing is an accessible sport with the right introduction, which he gives.’
- ‘What they gave us is their snapshot look at contemporary surfing, for good or ill.’
- ‘Madeira has a host of water sports options including surfing and water skiing.’
- ‘The wide world of surfing made the front page of the Los Angeles Times this morning.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.