Relating to the earth's surface.‘surficial deposits’
- ‘The most important aspect of the New Jersey research for the Navy is the effects on the acoustics of shallow-water continental shelf environments of surficial stratigraphic development and preservation.’
- ‘The resulting samples represent modern unconsolidated surficial deposits of the shallow shelf.’
- ‘Another strong argument against the mammoth death-in-the-Flood hypothesis is that the Beringian animals are buried in unconsolidated surficial sediments overlying lithified sedimentary rocks.’
- ‘New applications bring together soil data with land use, climate, surficial geology and farm management information.’
- ‘He also led bedrock and surficial geologic mapping projects in the Chugach Mountains of South Central Alaska for five years.’
Late 19th century: from surface, on the pattern of superficial.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.