Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The sport or pastime of riding a wave towards the shore while standing or lying on a surfboard; surfing.‘after a day of surfboarding, he suffered severe low back pain’
- ‘Like my wife and two sons, I've got a major interest in water sports - surfboarding, surf ski riding and spear fishing.’
- ‘Skateboarding originated as an offshoot of surfboarding in California in the 1960s.’
- ‘The family decides to take a vacation and stop off in California to visit their daughter, Sandi, and her hunky surfboarding fiance, Michael.’
- ‘By the Twenties, Californians had imported surfboarding from Hawaii.’
- ‘Swimming, surfboarding, scuba diving, track and field, and long-distance running also are growing in popularity.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.