One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The tension of the surface film of a liquid caused by the attraction of the particles in the surface layer by the bulk of the liquid, which tends to minimize surface area.
- ‘Thanks to surface tension, a drop of molten metal holds itself together.’
- ‘Water so treated will show a change of temperature, surface tension, viscosity and electrical conductivity.’
- ‘As long as the pressure exerted by an object is low enough, surface tension can support it.’
- ‘Hydrogen bonds are also responsible for water's high surface tension and specific and latent heats.’
- ‘This wetting is a result of very low viscosity and surface tension high enough to be drawn into the cracks and pore structure of concrete by capillary action.’
- ‘Drift retardants reduce drift by increasing the viscosity or surface tension of a spray solution.’
- ‘Structures can be designed to focus surface tension or hydrophobic attraction as compressive stress.’
- ‘Normally the bubbles are coated to avoid clustering and to prevent surface tension from dissolving the bubbles by pushing the gas out of them.’
- ‘In equilibrium, the surface tension of a vesicle is zero, but surface tension is induced in the bilayer as it flows through the pore.’
- ‘The film pressure counteracts the surface tension of the air-water interface.’
- ‘For surface tension gradients to be maintained, there must be a strong resistance to surfactant flow at low surface tension.’
- ‘The simulations were conducted at constant surface tension and zero normal pressure.’
- ‘To get this weak force to effectively push a liquid surface, the team produced a liquid interface with low surface tension.’
- ‘The lung parenchyma is a connective tissue network that is distorted by surface tension.’
- ‘He's unaware of any other physical mechanism for minimizing a surface besides surface tension.’
- ‘The volume of liquid metal is chosen so that liquid metal droplets remain coalesced or separated because of surface tension in the liquid.’
- ‘I have long been looking for outstanding problems in the biological sciences in which surface tension is important.’
- ‘In fact, we would need a revolution in fluid dynamics to make surface tension fit in at all.’
- ‘It is proposed that a similar arrangement of protein domains could concentrate the compressive stress arising from surface tension.’
- ‘It has higher surface tension, which allows it to bead up more which, alone, would allow the formation of a larger drop.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.