Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The lowest layer of the earth's atmosphere extending to about one kilometer. Winds within it are affected by friction with the earth's surface.
- ‘The final deliverable will be a complete end-to-end system for the assessment of important physical and biological parameters in the surface boundary layer, from gathering the data to the evaluation of surface boundary layer processes.’
- ‘There is a relationship between physical properties and nutrients below the surface boundary layer.’
- ‘Instead, it must be calculated from data collected in wind tunnels or measured in the surface boundary layer at sea.’
- ‘The lowest level below 50m, which is strongly affected by the physical roughness and temperature of the surface, is called the surface boundary layer.’
- ‘The geometric scale of the simulated surface boundary layers was estimated as 1/250 according to roughness length.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.