One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an electronic component) having leads that are designed to be soldered on the side of a circuit board that the body of the component is mounted on.
- ‘Under the nickel-finished, heavy brass body is a modern, double-sided board with low-noise FET electronics in a combination of axial and surface-mount components.’
- ‘With a width of 11 mm, the unit can be mounted with standard bodies configured for surface-mount or tube connections.’
- ‘Available in standard-pitch, fine-pitch, memory, and plastic-leaded-chip-carrier/pin-grid-array models, these kits contain a variety of chips used to convert surface-mount components to through-hole devices.’
- ‘The regions can be set to change automatically when performing inspections for objects of varying sizes, such as surface-mount components.’
- ‘Lumex has announced a family of surface-mount technology LEDs that offer protection from electrostatic discharge.’
- ‘The circuitry is all surface-mount so repairs become very difficult.’
- ‘The baseboard uses surface-mount manufacturing and traditional technology.’
- ‘A broad array of items is featured on page 32, from a photocurable adhesive and membrane switch to a surface-mount pressure sensor.’
- ‘Combined with tiny surface-mount passive components, flip-chips allow complex electronic assemblies in final packages that are extremely small.’
- ‘Leakage is another issue that affects newer compact capacitors, causing some surface-mount types to fail at the rubber seals.’
- ‘For surface-mount devices, a lower melting-point solder is used, which is softer than the 60/40 lead/tin combo of the vacuum tube era.’
- ‘Toshiba Electronics has introduced two surface-mount chipsets that are claimed to simplify the task of designing CD modules for use in vehicle audio applications.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.