Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a substance, such as a detergent) tending to reduce the surface tension of a liquid in which it is dissolved.
- ‘On the other hand, a haphazard increase in surface tension or selection of a surface-active material with undesirable biological effects could have dangerous consequences.’
- ‘Upon separation, the surfactants lose all surface-active behavior.’
- ‘Such specific interactions may lead to formation of highly surface-active lipid-protein complexes as well as sorting of lipids at the lung air-water interface.’
- ‘To weaken the surface of the emulsion droplets and reduce stability, extra emulsifiers such as mono- and diglycerides (small molecule surface-active agents) are added to the emulsion.’
- ‘The presence of a minimum is commonly attributed to surface-active impurities.’
- ‘Normal pulmonary function requires the presence of a surface-active material at the air/liquid interface of the alveolar hypophase.’
- ‘However, the mechanisms promoting transformation of these compact particles into surface-active components is still poorly understood.’
- ‘These aerosol particles are mainly comprised of organic matter, produced by plankton and are concentrated at the ocean surface due to its surface-active properties.’
- ‘It has been shown that such interdigitated lamellar phases are formed with soluble surface-active molecules that interact with the polar headgroups of the lipids.’
- ‘The method might also prove highly valuable for the investigation of surface-active substances other than pulmonary surfactant.’
- ‘An important case of adsorption on liquid surfaces is that of surface-active or surfactant molecules at the water-air or water-oil interface.’
- ‘If surface tension does contribute significantly, surface-active agents designed to safely and favorably modulate surface tension might be used to increase recoil in emphysema.’
- ‘For example, changes induced in the capacitance relaxation parameters have been used to help characterize the interaction of surface-active molecules with bilayers.’
- ‘This will then allow observing directly the structure-function relationship of pulmonary surfactant and any other surface-active substance.’
- ‘Our isotherm results demonstrate that P188 is a highly surface-active copolymer.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.