One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The highest judicial court in a country or state.
- ‘In addition, the Supreme Court economizes on its time by giving little weight to decisions by the federal courts of appeals and the state supreme courts.’
- ‘The judicial branch includes a supreme court with justices appointed by the president.’
- ‘District courts hear civil and criminal cases, high courts hear appeals, and the supreme court reviews judgments by lower courts.’
- ‘As in the United States, the judicial branch is comprised of a supreme court and lower, local courts.’
- ‘After all, constitutions and supreme courts are state constitutions and courts, and whatever limitations to government action they might contain is determined by agents of the very same institution.’
- ‘Lawyers for the prisoners have been tied up ever since in a series of appeals and counter appeals to different levels of court to get the hearings the supreme court promised.’
- ‘Each republic had an independent judiciary with a supreme court, lower courts, and a constitutional court.’
- ‘Another test will be the imminent retirement of the chief justice of the supreme court, William Rehnquist, who has thyroid cancer.’
- ‘William Rehnquist, chief justice of the US supreme court, is 80 years old and has been diagnosed with a serious form of thyroid cancer.’
- ‘The supreme court and lower courts comprise the judicial branch.’
- ‘Conflicts over the legality of such ordinances sometimes reached various state supreme courts.’
- ‘The rule of law must be respected and honored - especially by the chief justice of a state supreme court.’
- ‘The judicial branch consists of the supreme court and several layers of lower courts.’
- ‘The high court, a court of appeals, and a supreme court constitute the core of the justice system.’
- ‘That's being argued right now in the supreme court of justice, by the way.’
- ‘The chief justice of the supreme court has stepped into the presidency, as stipulated in the constitution.’
- ‘The highest judicial body is the supreme court.’
- ‘In Alabama, a chief justice of the state supreme court was forced to remove a giant monument of the 10 Commandments from his courthouse.’
- ‘As long as it stood, it was the supreme court and legislative body in all matters of Torah law.’
- ‘The formal system is organized under an independent judiciary headed by a supreme court.’
- 1.1 The highest federal court in the US, consisting of nine justices and taking judicial precedence over all other courts in the nation.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.