One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used in academic or legal texts to refer to someone or something mentioned above or earlier.‘the recent work by McAuslan and others (supra)’
foregoing, previous, prior, former, precursory, earlier, above, above-mentioned, aforementioned, above-stated, above-named, antecedentView synonyms
- ‘The need for the anticipated infrastructure is reflected in various decisions, which I canvassed in Nikolovski, supra.’
- ‘As indicated above in Wallace, supra, the Supreme Court of Canada described the relationship of employer and employee.’
- ‘It refers to Stein, supra, among other cases, in this regard.’
- ‘Whiten, supra, points out these factors as taking a ‘message’ to others.’
- ‘These studies are discussed in the two articles cited in note 6, supra.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.