Used in academic or legal texts to refer to someone or something mentioned above or earlier.‘the recent work by McAuslan and others (supra)’
foregoing, previous, prior, former, precursory, earlier, above, above-mentioned, aforementioned, above-stated, above-named, antecedentView synonyms
- ‘These studies are discussed in the two articles cited in note 6, supra.’
- ‘As indicated above in Wallace, supra, the Supreme Court of Canada described the relationship of employer and employee.’
- ‘It refers to Stein, supra, among other cases, in this regard.’
- ‘The need for the anticipated infrastructure is reflected in various decisions, which I canvassed in Nikolovski, supra.’
- ‘Whiten, supra, points out these factors as taking a ‘message’ to others.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.