One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A solid medical preparation in a roughly conical or cylindrical shape, designed to be inserted into the rectum or vagina to dissolve.
- ‘Patients who do not respond to other interventions may have to use other mild laxatives, suppositories and enemas and their use may become inevitable in the later stages of the disease.’
- ‘Paediatric anaesthetists often break paracetamol suppositories to achieve an approximate dose for children of different ages and weights.’
- ‘Do not use other laxatives, enemas, or suppositories unless your doctor tells you to.’
- ‘Injections, nasal sprays, wafers or suppositories (soft capsules that you insert into the vagina or anus) are other options.’
- ‘Topical creams may be better than suppositories because of ease and accuracy of medication placement.’
- ‘There were ointments and vapours, and also suppositories and purgatives.’
- ‘Oral fluids and antiemetic suppositories, if needed, should result in an uneventful recovery in about 36 hours.’
- ‘In an attempt to better manage pain immediately after surgery, some staff requested orders for around-the-clock, regular doses of acetaminophen suppositories.’
- ‘Depending on the part of your body being scanned, your doctor may ask you to take laxatives, enemas or suppositories, or temporarily modify your diet further.’
- ‘A drug allergy was suspected and eventually traced to analgesic suppositories.’
- ‘This medicine may be a cream or a suppository that you put into your vagina with a special applicator.’
- ‘Lollipops, lotions, syrups, sprays and suppositories can also be developed instead of using the manufactured form.’
- ‘People unable to swallow safely after a stroke can be given aspirin as a suppository.’
- ‘It is available in liquid drops, oral liquid (by mouth), chewable tablets, and rectal suppositories.’
- ‘Rather than treating yourself with over-the-counter yeast creams or suppositories, it is best to see your doctor for an exam.’
- ‘We undertook separate analyses of micronised oral progesterone and progesterone pessaries or suppositories versus placebo.’
- ‘They are available as tablets, capsules, liquids and suppositories (medication placed in the vagina or anus).’
- ‘As the rectal suppositories melt, the medication soothes the inflamed area, providing symptomatic relief and promoting healing.’
- ‘Postoperative pain relief may be further assisted with preoperative indomethacin suppositories.’
- ‘If the suppository is too soft to insert, chill the suppository in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or run cold water over it before removing the foil wrapper.’
Late Middle English: from medieval Latin suppositorium, neuter (used as a noun) of late Latin suppositorius ‘placed underneath’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.